Tadpoles (also called pollywog or porwigle) or in Northern Thailand is known as “E Huak” (อีฮ๊วก), is the larval stage in the life cycle of frog. Yes, many have said that they look like sperms. I bet not many of us know that tadpoles are one of many delicious dishes for local people. They can be cooked with local ingredients and to be one of the delicious local dishes. This dish is called “Toasted tadpoles with herbs in banana leaves”.
Let’s see how we can make this secret dish.
- 200 grams of tadpoles which are washed thoroughly. Tadpoles may be need to gently squeeze to remove the mud inside thier body.
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped ginger leaves.
- 20 of chillies
- 10 shallots
- 20 cloves of garlics
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 tablespoon of chopped galangals
- 1 tablespoon of turmerics
- 1/2 tablespoon of shrimp paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
How to cook
– Pounding all ingredients together (except tadpoles) by using pounder thoroughly.
– Mix washed tadpoles with pounded ingredients in a bowl.
– You may add finely chopped ginger leaves a bit. This make the dish smell better and more beautiful in coloring.
– Put appropriate amount of mixed ingredients on fresh banana leaf, wrap and fold properly(flatted-rectangular shaped are preferable)
– Toast with low heat on a stove,10-15 minutes on each side.
Once you’re sure it is cooked well inside, remove the packs from the stove.
Then you have deliclious toasted tadpoles with herbs in banana leaf ready to serve.
Source : library.cmu.ac.th
Comment with Facebook